Thank you for applying to Horizons at SHU. HSHU will be recruiting and selecting a total of 18 kindergarten students for the 2019 summer program. Students will be selected based on academic potential (can be above, at, or below grade level), family support, financial need, school recommendation, and demonstrated good behavior. Schools we recruit from, include, but are not limited to:
- Luis Munoz Marin
- Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Cathedral Academy (St. Raphael Campus)
- St. Ann Elementary School
- St. Andrews Academy Bridgeport
The program will run from Monday, June 24, 2019 to Friday August 2, 2019 from 8:30am-3:30pm. We will be closed on July 4 and July 5 for the holiday. Please note that, Horizons at SHU has a strict attendance policy. Students with more than two unexcused absence during the summer will have to reapply for their spot the following summer. If for some reason, you cannot commit to your child attending for the entire summer program, please apply another year.
Horizons at SHU is a tuition-free summer academic and enrichment program. Requirements for admission include:
- The student’s household must qualify for free or reduced-fee lunch under the federal guidelines;
- The student must live in Bridgeport; and
- The student must attend one of the Catholic Academies of Bridgeport or a Bridgeport Public School.
Please note that we accept children at all grade levels and varying academic abilities. To be considered for admission to the program, please complete an application online HERE.
All applications must be complete, including the submission of all required documents by April 1, 2019. The supplemental documents include:
- Teacher Evaluation Form;
- A copy of your child’s most recent report card; and
- A copy of your child’s IEP or 504 plan (if applicable).
There is no fee to apply. Upon acceptance to the program, a $30 enrollment fee is required. We make a 12 year commitment to all of our students who enter in Kindergarten. Once your child is accepted, your child will return every summer through high school.
It is our expectation that our accepted students and their families will:
- Commit to academic achievement in school and at Horizons at SHU.
- Intend to participate in Horizons at SHU through the twelfth grade.
- Fully participate in the summer and Saturday Academy sessions, as well as family events.
Admission decisions will be released by the middle of May. Admitted students will be required to attend a mandatory parent orientation. If your child is not admitted, he/she will be placed on a waiting list in the event a space becomes available.
If you have application questions, please contact Renee Rosenbluh, Program Coordinator, at (203) 365-4470 or firstname.lastname@example.org